Thursday, July 26, 2007

Book Review: The Courage to Love by Samantha Kane


I didn't think I'd be interested in male-on-male romances. I subscribe to the theory that the female reader consciously or subconsciously identifies with the heroine, wants to be in her place in the story. Which means I want the man or men paying attention to ME, not to each other. Plus, I just didnt' think I'd find detailed descriptions of gay sex appealing or even interesting.

Boy, was I wrong. Okay, maybe I cheated a little. This story, and most of the ones in this genre I've read since then, are actually menages of two men and a woman. Yeah, the two guys have sex with each other, but they are also each making it with the heroine - so I get to put myself in the fantasy.

This is the first in Ms. Kane's Brothers in Arms series. There are three books out now, a fourth coming soon. The setting is Regency England, the main characters are men who were British officers in the Napoleonic Wars. They survived the horrors of war by supporting each other, often sharing women - and sometimes ending up sharing each other. But now back at home in England, they have to think about propriety, about their families' expections, about finding wives who will provide heirs.

In The Courage to Love, Jason and Tony have been in love with Kate for several years. But she was married to another man. She became a widow, but they were away. Now they are back and they want her - they BOTH want her. Although she seems able to accept the shocking notion of two men and a triad relationship, she refuses to marry them. The reasons for her reluctance, the horrifying event that is affecting her, and the villain lurking about are gradually revealed.

At the start of the story, Jason and Tony are best friends, deeply and emotionally attached to each other - but they've never had a sexual or romantic connection between them. Through their shared love for Kate, and sharing her in bed, they come to recognize the depth of their attachment to each other. And eventually the threesome becomes truly three-way.

There are many secondary characters. Lots of fellow officers get introduced, who become heroes in future books in the series. It was hard to keep them and their relationships straight. But they were all enjoyable. The only character I didn't care for was Kate's niece, who lives with her. I was uncomfortable with this very young (she's 15 or 16) woman in the situation, and I found her an annoying and obnoxious person. (Of course, she's a teenager--so maybe that's realistic.)

I cannot tell you how much I loved this story! The main characters are so vivid, so intense, so endearing in their emotional struggles. The sex is beyond hot. Yes, I drooled over the male/male sex scenes, to my surprise. Yep, I immediately purchased and read the second and third in the series, and am eagerly awaiting the next. They just get better and better.

Ebook at http://www.ellorascave.com/ . The print book will be out in September.
Author website samanthakane.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this story and the sequels! Can't wait for the next one! The characters and their emotions are so wonderful.

Kay R.